Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Girl Parts vs. Boy Parts

So...today I experienced my first conversation with Addison about the difference between boys and girls. I was changing the diaper of one of the little boys (Gavin) that I watch and this is how the conversation went:

Addi: "Mommy, what is that?" (she is pointing at the little boy's "parts")

Me: (In my head) Oh my god...I know where this conversation is going to lead, I will just pretend I did not hear the question and maybe she will move on!

Addi: (A little louder this time) "Mommy! What is that?" (still more pointing!!!)

Me: (In my head) She is not moving on...why isn't your father here to deal with this!?!?!?!

Addi: (Still very loud) "MOMMY! What is that on Gavin?"

Me: (In my head) FINE! (To Addison) "That is Gavin's boy parts."

Addi: "Boy parts?"

Me: "Yes...you have girl parts because you are a girl and Gavin has boy parts because he is a boy."


Are you ready for this...this is where it gets really tricky!!!


Addison: "I want that!"

Me: "WHAT?"

Addison: "I want that someday!"

Me: "Addison...you can't have boy parts you have girl parts. You are a girl so you have girl parts!! Mommy is a girl...she has girl parts and daddy is a boy...he has boy parts!"

Addison: "I want that someday when I grow up!"

Me: (In my head) You are not going to get the two year old to understand this right now, so just walk out of the room. So I did!


Ahhhhhhh!! I want my baby back...things were much more simple then!

1 comment:

kpepperell said...

Now that is funny! I was sure the conversation was going to come up over vacation when I was changing Cillian. She was looking a little puzzled. So glad she saved that for you! Just the first of many times....Thanks for sharing! Those conversations are priceless!